Sunday, December 14, 2014

Mock Interviews.

This week for PPD we did small mock interviews to see how we deal under pressure. We were shown a single job for grabs at Mind Candy (Moshi Monsters) from here we got into groups of three an interviewee, the interviewer and a note taker to observe how we handled the interview.

Luckily I have had interviews in the past for job roles, granted not in this industry but the general approach is the same. I looked at the key words in the job roles advertisement and geared my answers towards those. Of all the questions I was faced with two stood out to me as good answers demonstrating my skills and traits.

When asked about my achievements outside of academia I pointed out my martial arts career where I have been training for over thirteen years and taught for around five or six of those. While my interviewer initially didn't see how this could possibly be connected, so I went into more detail, explaining that Shukokai is a discipline that requires long hours of practice, repetition and self criticism in order to improve, that the fact I have been doing it for such a long period of time and become highly decorated in it demonstrates my determination and that the fact I have reached the point where I am able to teach others across a range of ages showing I can relay information and lead teams of people to successfully reach their own goals.

I was also faced with answering the question of why I wanted to work there (for the sake of the exercise) which is where I geared my answer towards the key words of the add. I then went on to talk about how I am not a normal person and due to my more weird and odd perspective on things I would be ideal in their company.

From the feedback it was apparent I was articulate in my answers, and whilst some of my answers sometimes required further detail I didn't repeat myself or overuse any words. This is something I have improved upon since my last job interview which wasn't a big issue but still apparent to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment