Sunday, December 14, 2014

Website

Having had a chat with Kyle he suggested One.com to me as a quick and easy to use website creator site which allows me to create a layout that suits my needs, that works on all devices, have my own URL without any website creator clutter (i.e. dave-barry.co.uk and not dave-barry/one.com) and plenty of space to add additional content and images in the future.

I was considering using Wix however Kyle pointed out that it is not always accessible across all browsers or PCs making it potentially harmful if someone cannot open my website, and while Wix is free for a base but the better features must be bought. So I might as well buy something more substantial and accessible from the get go.

I did have to pay for this but I got the domain for free for the year. I have also decided to go against the advice of some of my piers and ad a logo of sorts to unify my work and maybe use as a watermark on images as I am very conscious of copyright having had issue with it in the past. some consider having a logo to be somewhat arrogant however I disagree, as it is a visually simple way to advertise my work across multiple sites without the use of text, my logo also works on any scale. If I did however make my website more about me and not my work then I would indeed agree with my piers concern, but it isn't thus I am not at all worried.

For my logo I intend to use an image I created back in college which was part of a graphic design wine label unit, this quickly became a staple for me in college. I can also use this as my Favicon to differentiate my website from others even if they use the One.com to make their wesites. This is another issue I had with Wix as you are forced to use their favicon on top of have their logos apear on your site breaking the desired aesthetic. I plan on using a black background, with red titles, and white text. Red can also be used to highlight selected pages and categories whilst keeping a unifying aesthetic of the 3 colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment